Why DIY Mold Removal is a Bad Idea

Posted on

Why DIY Mold Removal is a Bad Idea

Mold Removal ≠ DIY
Although there are many skills that we obtain throughout our life that are second nature, there are other tasks that should definitely be left to the professionals. When it comes to mold removal or trying to clean mold yourself, it is not a good idea because it can impact your health. In addition, if not completed properly it could create even a larger issue.

With online blogs, television shows, social media and the Internet, DIY has become popular for homeowners when trying to save money. There are many projects around your home that are DIY and can be completed successfully. When it comes to mold, NYS requires for you to be licensed in order to assess and remediate mold.

Proper Equipment and Setup
There are special supplies and equipment needed in order to properly perform a mold remediation job. This includes air filtration devices that get strategically placed inside the work area and are vented out through a window to create negative air pressure. This insures that no outside contaminants are entering the structure during remediation.

Protect yourself and others from getting sick or causing cross contamination. Numerous homeowners will not take the necessary precautions to protect themselves. Mold removal professionals are trained to handle contaminants, and know that there are certain ways to get in and out of your protective wear to prevent the spread or inhalation of the contaminant. 

Detailed training is imperative to remove the mold properly. Professionals have their crew members wear protective cover-all suits and are fit for a high grade respirator. Purchasing a paint suit and dust mask from the hardware store is not enough nor is it the proper protection.

Creating a Bigger Issue
Mold can easily be spread throughout other areas of your home, when cleaned improperly. If you try scrubbing or cleaning an area with mold that does not have the proper containment set up, the spores can go airborne and spread throughout other areas of the home. Initially, the issue could have been isolated to one area of the home such as the basement, after trying to clean it improperly it could spread to other rooms creating a much bigger problem.

Health Concerns and Allergies
Some people have severe allergies to certain types of mold while others have none at all. Most of us are unaware of these allergies until they start to see symptoms. There are also toxic mold spores that can be extremely dangerous, even in small amounts.

These are just some of the most obvious reasons to have a licensed mold professional come out and evaluate your home. Every home and situation is unique and any qualified contractor should gladly come out to your property to discuss your options and provide a visual inspection. Make sure to use your judgment, ask questions, get references and ask for a certificate of insurance for worker’s compensation and liability. 

Do Not Cut Corners to Cut Cost
We do not recommend DIY mold removers. It is not worth trying to save a few dollars, especially when your health is at risk. You could potentially be subjecting yourself and family members to various health issues. This is a chore left to licensed mold professionals such as Comprehensive Mold Management. 

1 comment

  1. Very informative and impressive post you have written, this is quite interesting and i have went through it completely, an upgraded information is shared, keep sharing such valuable information. Water Damage Restoration Philadelphia