"Moldy" Smell

Posted on

“Moldy” Smell

If you have smelled mold before, then you know that it has a very distinctive smell. It’s musty odor quite often lingers in basements, attics, basements, crawlspaces and other areas of your home. It is an unpleasant odor, where it leads to customers asking several questions, such as what does this mean and how do I get rid of it.


Why Does Mold Smell Musty?

Mold produces gases called microbial volatile organic compounds (MVOC’s) Many of these gasses are odorless but some have a musty odor, the smell typically associated with mold. If you notice a musty odor in your home, you probably have mold growing inside, even if is not visible. Mold can grow in unseen areas such as behind walls, under carpets or in areas you do not check like attics or crawlspaces.

Can the “Moldy” Smell Impact My Health?

It is imperative that you understand that the “moldy” odor can mean that you are inhaling the MVOC’s and more than likely the mold spores that have gone airborne. Some of the compounds are toxic, which can cause a variety of health issues such as migraines, sore throat, coughing, flu-like symptoms and much more. Although, the mold gives off a foul smell, the bigger concern is the potential health risks it can cause.

How to Control the Mold Odor

The only true way to completely eliminate the “moldy” smell is to have the mold properly removed by a professional. Air fresheners, scented candles, incense and other ways people attempt to mask the musty moldy smell. These may help cover the odor somewhat temporarily, but it will not make it go away. The only actual way to control the mold odor is to have a professional remove the mold.

Mold Testing for Your Home

If you do not have visible mold in your home, but do smell a musty odor, then this is a situation where we would recommend to have mold or air testing conducted by a licensed mold professional. We do not recommend trying to use a DIY Mold Test Kit (Insert Link to blog on Reasons Why You Should Not Use a DIY Mold Testing Kit) When diagnosing a mold problem, it should be handled by a professional, who uses proper sampling collection protocol and a certified lab. Also, a professional can assist with interpreting the results so the customer understands the situation fully. Do not waste your time and money on a DIY Test, instead contact a trusted mold professional, such as Comprehensive Mold Management. For more information, call us at 585-235-6182 or at www.compmold.com.